Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Being The Thing Killing The Music Industry

If you go to iTunes right now, it would appear that I am part of the problem. This problem being the evil corporate monopoly that is trying to squeeze all of the creativity and soul out of the music industry. It would seem that there is just no redeeming my state of naughtyness so I thought that it would be good just to fess up to the crime and be done with it.

What did I do that was so wrong?

I bought the Radiohead best of album that went on sale on Tuesday.

I was unaware of just how evil a thing to do this was when I did it. Either I was in the dark about the situation or I just didn't seem to pay close enough attention which means I'm either just evil or stupid evil. Your choice may vary.

The reasons for the evilness of my actions appear in the listener comments section. For those of you that don't know about this, here is the simple and quick explanation. Radiohead has always refused to release a best of album of any kind and stated on a regular basis that the only way their albums would be sold online would be as complete works and not on a song-by-song basis. It was all or nothing... until the band completed their contract and moved on to self release. This left the record company with all of their earlier albums and what looked like the total end of the relationship between the two parties. Looking to make more money back on their investment, the company went against the band's wishes and made a best of album. As can be expected, the fans of Radiohead sided with the band and now seem to spend large amounts of their personal time screaming online about anyone that shows an interest in the best of.

There is only one thing that I can say in my defense and that is the fact that I just don't like Radiohead enough to buy all of their albums to get the, at best, 10 songs that I really like. If this was something like Green Day's "American Idiot" where the songs are all linked together to tell a complete story, then I could see their side of the arguement. But making a statement like buying a single from an album is like only looking at a corner of a beautiful painting is really stretching the bounds of reality. The songs on the album are divided up into seperate songs... with seperate names... and can be played in any order the person listening wants to hear them. So why am I evil if I just want specific songs and not the entire freaking artistic masterpiece.

From reading down the reviews and comments, I really don't think that there is anything that can be said or done to disuade the fans of Radiohead on this topic. They have dug their heels so far into the dirt that only a nuclear bomb might move them and even that isn't a definate. I'd like to think that they could at least give a begrudging understanding to the idea that people can be interested in a band but not want to listen to every single song that they have ever made. That seems like a pretty even trade but what do I know? I'm the evil one...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home