Wednesday, May 10, 2006

What Is In A Name? Apparently Too Much Creativity

There has been some developments in an aspect of new product development that is starting to get a little out of hand. I am speaking of the names that companies are choosing for their stuff. Maybe we've used up all of your standard names but it's turning into an epidemic of oddly named things being advertised for mass consumption.

The first time I really noticed this was when it was announced that Nintendo had chosen a name for it's upcoming third generation console. Throughout the whole development period and into the initial promotion, the system was going by it's inhouse code name of "Revolution". Now I thought that this was actually a pretty smart and snappy title for a console that looks to have the amount of new technology and new ideas that all of the specs and photos seem to show. This wasn't good enough for Nintendo so they decided to announce the official name for it.

Wii.

No... Really. That is the name. It's pronounced like the word we though I'm always feeling the urge to say "Weeeeeeeeeeee!" whenever I have to say the name. The explanation given is that they wanted to have a name that is all inclusive and inviting for gamers of every age. That is all well and good but I have to call at least a yellow card on the name just being odd. Creativity does not negate a name that sounds and looks like that.

Fastforward to this morning and me in my car as I drive to work. A radio commercial for 7-11 comes on advertising their new food product and it just didn't sound right. I kept hearing the word pizza but the announcer seemed to be not saying it right. The description of the sandwich product, 'slices of pizza flatbread with cheese and pepperoni substitute for bread slices, and are filled with deli meats, cheeses and spreads', didn't sound like any kind of pizza to me. After the morning rush, I took a quick run by the 7-11 site to see what this thing is called. My answer?

P’EatZZa.

Maybe their computer keyboard got stuck while they were trying to come up with a name or something because that name just seems a little too creative to me. I'll give you the creative use of 'Eat' in the middle but the double capital Zs just knock it right back again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home